Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Birthday Treats

My mom was one of the best cooks ever! She made great pies (something my dad was really fond of). On my birthday, my mom would bake a Sugar Pie for me. I have the recipe somewhere, but have never really baked one myself. I'm going to try soon. The recipe came from my dad's mom who, during the Great Depression and after, didn't have much money, but lived on the farm. Their she was able to use what she had and a little sugar and flour to make pie.

I will add the Sugar Pie recipe when I find it, but also wanted to tell you that every birthday in our family was also celebrated with an Angel Food Cake (from a box mix) that always turned out really ugly. My mom would then ice it with a super sweet icing made from powdered sugar, melted butter, a little vanilla and some milk. It was not my favorite thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment